There’s no denying the irresistible draw of a neon sign. That warm glow, dramatic presence and nostalgia factor are just a few reasons why neon remains a popular choice for business owners. We’ve had the pleasure of creating some truly unique neon signs, but there are times when our clients, particularly ones with older neon systems, are in need of an alternative. Whether it’s due to an outdated system or high operating costs, we see many business owners and property managers wanting to make the switch from neon to a more reliable product, but without losing that aesthetic that helps attract customers.
Faux architectural neon, which uses LED bulbs for illumination, is a great option for retrofitting a commercial building sign or lighting system. The result will add color and personality to your building, but with lower expense and less headache as is sometimes associated with traditional neon.
What are the benefits of investing in faux (LED) neon? Here are just a few:
- Energy Efficiency: LED systems use 5 to 10 times less power than neon. As a result, LED signs will consume significantly less energy than neon during its lifespan, which means you can save upwards of 80% in energy costs. We can provide a free ROI analysis to tell you exactly how much you can expect to save on your energy bill by making the switch. In addition to being more friendly to your bottom line, your sign will also be more friendly to the environment—a bonus to upgrading to LED.
- Lower Maintenance: Whether it’s a failed transformer, broken glass tube or leaking of gas, neon signs run a higher risk of flickering or completely burning out, resulting in costly, ongoing repairs. Maintenance is one of the main reasons why business owners are trading in their neon signs for the more reliable LED. LED signage requires very little maintenance and is rated for 100,000 hours, which equals to 11.42 years of anticipated service life. Manufacturers are offering 5-year parts warranty to provide even more assurance to the customer.
- Versatility: Just because you’re switching your neon out for LED, doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your creativity. LED is so good at mimicking the look and feel of neon, you often can’t tell that it’s not the real thing! Compatible with just about any design application, LED neon offers endless customizable options with RGB colors, creating lighting effects that surpass the abilities of traditional neon. Choose from an array of colors or even opt for changing colors – the sky is the limit with LED!
- Safety: While beautiful to look at, neon signs carry a safety risk if they are not maintained. Such risks include injury from broken glass or high voltage that can cause a shock or even become a fire hazard. Because LED runs on a lower voltage, it produces virtually no heat, so there a lower hazard risk with your LED sign. Case in point: the property manager of a Jason’s Deli in Raleigh, NC (pictured above) chose to upgrade to LED after their outdated neon system caused an electrical fire in their building. Not only was it more cost effective to replace the damaged neon with LED, it also became a safer option for the client moving forward.
- Project Time: Faux architectural neon, like the example we did at Jason’s Deli, often does not require permitting, resulting in a more affordable process and quicker turnaround on production and installation.
Interested to learn more about the benefits of switching from neon to LED? Our team is always happy to help answer any questions you have!
Connect with our team to learn how we can help with your signage needs.